Monday, June 23, 2008

Underrested

The week finished strong but a little painful. After attending my niece's baptism and lunch, which was a nice family affair thanks to my brother Matt and family, OB12OLD and I hit the road. I wanted to get to 60 but after riding for 25, my legs were screaming at me. There were no hills, no high tempo, some headwind, but nothing noteworthy to cause this pain. Sitting there thinking about what and why, I remembered something I read in Floyd's book. Floyd had the notion that it is a misnomer to say you've overtrained. You are just underrested. This made sense to me. I had ridden a century on Saturday, came home Sunday to an empty house, unable to sleep well. I rode 3 1/2 hours on Monday, got home late Tuesday, rode three 1/2 hours Wednesday, rode 2 hours Thursday, and then another 3 hours on Saturday (OB12OLD was feeling good - he got the "I'll rip your legs off" pace on - he must have smelt blood). All the while, having trouble sleeping and not eating well. I paid the price for all of this during the three hours on Saturday while riding into the headwind.

Being at my parents house on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I got some good food and some decent rest. When I got back here Sunday night, I went to be early. This morning was a different day. I tore up the hills on the way to work, not feeling fatigued. After work, I rode another 2+ hours, on hills and not feeling very fatigued and not eating much either. I felt good. I hope this carries over into tomorrow as I will try to hit 3 hours on the bike again. All told, last week was about 12 hours on the bike, 190+ miles. The 12 hours is more than the time on the bike for the STP. This is a huge mental victory. I am ready now, just polishing it off. I am excited for JD to come on down and spend some time here just hanging on and off the bike. It will be relaxing. Only two more Saturdays of work before the ride. Let's ride!

On another note, the bachelor days are coming to an end. I am so excited to see the C and the kids - only a few more days to go.

No comments: