Sunday, June 15, 2008

Clarity

As I was reviewing my post from yesterday, I realized I neglected to explain the title to the post. For starters, this is not a statement about pent up bowel movements on a long ride while sitting on a small seat.

The plan for the ride was to hang with the BF, get in some good endurance riding, and do some speed work. Mission accomplished. For 65 to 70 miles of the ride, BF and I cruised along together, gabbing and enjoying each other's company. These are special moments for me to be able to spend this time with him - just the two of us doing what we enjoy together. Isn't that what family should be about, being together and enjoying each other?

As we were riding along the middle section of the route, doing some rollers, off to the side of the road was an old barn. It was obviously a working farm as evident from the smell of cow manure. Up on the top of this old barn was a large sign that read "Aged Manure." Showing my ignorance for manure and the importance of the aging process, I made a crack about how can aging manure be important. It is not like it is wine or some other delicacy that requires an aging process. Here is one of those special moments. I was then instructed by the BF on the importance of aging manure - how it can be harmful to plants and soil due to its high ammonia levels and nitrogen scavaging properties. The need is to compost the fresh manure, work it, and age it so that it is an effective soil fertilizer. Wow! I wrote a whole paragraph about aging manure.

The endurance portion is self-explanatory. All of the riding is paying off as I did not suffer as I have on other rides. Another big help was the Moms. She stopped in at the rest stop at mile 55 with Subway - a 6" club, hold the mayo and mustard. It hit the spot and I think helped to fend off that hollow leg/fatiguing feeling in the legs. We got some looks, sitting at the rest stop in chairs, eating a sub, our own SAG (support and gear) wagon. So to Mom, you get the Best Supporting of a Rider non-Rider award. Thanks.

The speed work was a rush and boost at the same time. I was able to hold 20+ MPH over the entire time. Granted, the course was fairly flat but I was working along. Many times, I was in the 22 - 23 MPH range. The boost was passing a lot of people, especially the final 15 miles by the lake. There were a lot of tired folks. I have been there before and know the "get me off this thing" feeling. The legs felt great and I was able to push.

Great ride, great support, and great company along the way.

No comments: