Monday, June 2, 2008

....

Six more weeks till the STP and gas is at $4/gallon plus. Seeing both of these items, I decided to start riding to work again several times a week. I started last week and have continued to ride in this week. Getting up and getting on the bike in the morning feels good and even better after the 10 mile commute to Tualatin. It is a wierd sensation but I feel more focused at work. Probably because I want to leave a little bit earlier to get home or the early morning exercise helps me to get things done. What ever it is, I am going to continue to do it till the real rains and cold comes back. Don't get me wrong, I don't ride in every day but the goal is to ride in more than I drive.

It was a good week on the bike - 140+ miles - the most in a single week so far this year. Saturday was a long ride, 85 miles but without any tunes. It was a tough day in the saddle with just me, the road, and .... nothing. So far, I am tracking for more miles this year than last year, in fact, I passed the 2K mark this week for the year. I am on pace for 5K. I don't know if I will get there but it will be close. I have my two week bike camp starting in less than 10 days. Well, it is not an official bike camp. The C is on a pilgrimage right after the kids are out of school, leaving me to conduct my final preparations for the STP. I plan on a couple 200+ mile weeks while she is out. Since the sun stays out till after 9 PM, it will be easy to get in several 3 hour tours during the week and then a century on Saturday.

On another note, Team Astana rider Alberto Contador took the Giro de Italia this weekend in Milan after 21 grueling stages. Levi rode support and helped Alberto win the maglia rosa. Up next, the Tour de France. They have to let in the #1 professional team, especially after the Giro win. The Tour has complained for years that Johann Bruyneel and his teams with Lance focused only on the Tour at the expense of the other grand tours. They forced his hand this year and they performed with only 8 days to prepare. They need to step up and let the #1 pro team with the Tour's defending champ race.

Time to ride....only 130 miles this week for the suggested mileage.