Sunday, May 7, 2017

Revenge of the Sixth! The Day After Cinco de Mayo.

This last week, the weather on the ride in to work and back home has been grea - mid 60s in the morning and mid 80s in the evening. Great weather. Not today. Checking the weather last night I noticed the temp would be mid 40s at 7 AM so no early morning ride today. I waited till after 9 but still it was only mid 50s with a cold wind. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all. This is better than cold and wet any day. I will admit that I did sit on my bike in the driveway, ready to go, contemplating just staying in the garage and rolling Zwift style for a couple hours. All I had to do was think of all those days in Oregon where I wished I could get outside - so I pushed off.

I love the ride around Lake Natoma. The trail, the flowers, trees, animals, river, etc. I was great to see all the boats in the water for a crew competition. That looked hard today as the wind was playing against them. I thought a lot about Craig today. He's got 5 weeks left - one hand counting. This is worse than Christmas. What I thought about is how much he's changed and how much I've stayed the same. His growth spiritually has been tremendous. His growth as a young man will be equal. And this is all I can see from e-mail. I am sure it will be much better in person. I remember that thought with Cassie. I continue to be impressed with my daughter. I love talking with her and seeing how her perspective and thoughts are growing, evolving, taking root. I am excited to see how Craig does when he's been home. I love my kids.

The ride back was a bit more challenging - up hill and into the wind. Yet, I still managed quite a few PRs on today's ride. That was a bit unexpected. I felt good but not that good. Maybe all that rice, beans, chips, salsa, and fajitas really powered the engine today, giving it an extra boost up the hills.





No comments: