Sunday, May 21, 2017

"On your left"

“On your left” is meant to be a notification, a warning, to those on the trail that someone is passing on the left. The passer could be running, walking, cycling, etc. This helps to not startle those on the path that are moving at a different speed than the passer. These are words I don’t hear often on the trail. Not because I am super fast or such a great cyclist that I pass everyone and no one passes me.

I will admit that I don’t hear the phrase very often but when I do, I take notice of those passing me. I expect to see a super fit cyclist wearing a team kit and riding a ultralight bike with some aero wheels. This has not been the norm on the trail when I get passed. I usually see someone with an electric bike. Someone that is riding that doesn’t look like they’ve been riding much at all. It takes me a moment to process this and I try to push down the competitive juices of trying to track them down.

I read a recent article that electric bike popularity is starting to grow. I need to get on board and not be judgmental about those riding the electric bikes. The bike snob in me wants to say it’s not really bike riding. Their Strava times should not count, at least not in the regular cycling category. At the Sea Otter Classic this year, there was a category for electric mountain bikes. I think that’s cool. “Keep ‘em separated” - can you hear the music playing…. This helps me to know that people are paying attention.

Maybe I should just get an electric bike...maybe not. I like being the engine. My goal is to not judge and just be happy for those getting out on their bikes. After all, isn’t that’s what it’s all about. Get out. Do something. I’ll figure out a way to get faster and be able to call out “on your left” to the electric cyclists.

1 comment:

David L said...

That 'electric bike' thing; I agree. They're can be somewhat challenging to pace, at least some of them. In my case, I remember a training session where I was burning a match or two on my return leg of the AR Parkway bike path, moving at a pretty good clip when to my surprise some dude in street clothes meanders past me on my left, low cadence. All I could think was WTF? That picture did not look right. It wasn't until I really gassed it and caught his wheel that I could see that what I was looking at wasn't your daddy's rear hub. Didn't know what it was but it sure looked like a beefy drive train. It wasn't until a similar occurrence happened that I decided to find out what's the deal. Oh, duh, it's called 'electricity'. It all made sense now and my fragile ego could feel a little better. I still see a few of the same guys riding their e-bikes every now and then. I prefer keeping real, personally. Sounds like your in my camp... happy trails.

'On your left'